If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Liu Sha Bao (Salted Egg Yolk Custard Bun) 黃金流沙包

Liu Sha Bao is one of my daughter's favorite dim sum, so i try my hand to make it at home. Liu Sha Bao is a one of the popular bao in dim sum restaurant. For a good Liu Sha Bao, the salted egg yolk custard must flowing out like lava when you first bite it. Anyway, my first Liu Sha Bao's didn't achieve the flowing out filling, but the custard filling tasted was so yummy, exactly like that one served in dim sum restaurant. Even i couldn't achieve like the real Liu Sha Bao, i still sharing this recipe here, as i know some of you might not like the flowing lava filling ,feel it a bit messy when eating it , then you can try this recipe.




How to make the salted egg yolks custard filling





I got some with shrunk bao skin. Next time i have to increase the bao dough for each bun.



Liu Sha Bao (Molten Salted Egg Yolk Custard Bun) 黃金流沙包

Custard filling

70 g castor sugar
65 custard powder
55 milk powder
100g butter, room temperature
3 salted egg yolk (approx 50 g), steamed
2 tbsp evaporated milk


Method

  1. Mashed the steamed salted egg yolks with a fork.
  2. Mix castor sugar, custard powder and milk powder in a large mixing bowl and stir well.
  3. Add in butter and evaporated milk and use a silicone spatula, mix until it becomes a paste.
  4. Add in mashed salted egg yolks and mix thoroughly. Put filling into fridge or freezer to firm up.
  5. Use an ice cream scoop, scoop about 20g custard filling each, put back into fridge to harden before wrap with bao dough.

Pumpkin bao dough

250g Hong Kong Flour or Bao flour (I used bluekey Bao flour)
1 and 1/4tsp instant yeast
70g pumpkin puree
60g caster sugar
2tsp vegetable shortening
1/2tsp double action baking powder
1/8tsp salt
55g water or adjust accordingly

Method
1. Mix all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, Bao flour, instant yeast, sugar, double action baking powder and salt, mix well.
2. Rub in shortening , add in pumpkin puree, slow add in water (adjust accordingly ), knead became smooth and not sticky dough.Cover with damp cloth and rest for 60mins.
5. Knock down dough to expel some air, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for a while.
6. Equally divide into 17 portions, roll into ball, set aside to rest for 10mins.
7. Fatten and roll out the dough into a circle. Place custard filling onto the center and pleat up the sides and seal.
8. Place the bao (seam side down) onto a piece of greaseproof paper, on the rack for steaming. Cover with a piece of damp cloth and let rise for another 30-45mins.
9. Steam the bao over medium low heat for about 10 -15mins.
10. Remove from steamer and serve warm.


Filling recipe refer to here, bao dough recipe by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover

8 comments:

My Little Space said...

Sonia, I love how you treated the buns' fillings....putting in lots of them into each of them. Greedy enough, just like my style ! haha....
Have a great week ahead darling.
Blessings, Kristy

Unknown said...

Hello Sonia, my custard is not runny. I follow all the instruction. Do you have any idea?? It is so sticky. It is like a paste not runny

Jasline @ Foodie Baker said...

Liu sha bao is such a difficult bun to master! I tried Guai Shu Shu's recipe before and though it's the same recipe, one came out flowy and one didn't. I think high heat is really needed to steam the buns and they cannot be oversteamed. I want to try again but I'm a bit lazy nowadays oops. Shall eat yours via the computer screen! ;)

Anonymous said...

Dear Sonia,

I am a regular of your blog & it provides ideas to what I plan to bake over the weekend. I have made this bao before but didn't get the liu sha effect. I felt very disappointed :( Not easy to get the liu sha effect. Seeing this post of yours & I might try making it again over this weekend.

From Georgina

Ana Regalado said...

I wouldn't mind a piece or 3 of those deliciousness , Sonia :D Maybe someday , I'll try to make this dim sum ....

Unknown said...

nice your resep

http://www.maskolis.com/2011/03/jcomment-fasilitas-komentar-joomla-yang.html

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hi Sonia! I've tried out your Liu Sha bao filling recipes today ! And my kids love them so much!! I used my own skin recipe because I need to make a Pokemon character out of it so I switched it with my own version's. Lol!
By the way, I really want to thank you so much for sharing this goodness!!i love the way it doesn't flow out like it's supposed to be as they are meant to me made for my kids so if they are too runny it would be messy for them :p

Love,
IG: @thebentomama

Blog Widget by LinkWithin