Ondeh Ondeh Swiss Roll Christmas Log Cake班兰椰香蛋糕卷*35.5cm x 28cm rectangular panFor coconut filling140g fresh grated coconut60g palm sugar or gula MelakaA pinch of salt3 blades pandan leaves, knotted3 tbsp water1tbsp MolassesFor coconut frosting100g fresh grated coconutA pinch of saltFor Pandan Sponge Cake4 egg yolks (A or large)50g vegetable oil (I use sunflower seeds oil)60g pandan juices (blend 10 blade of pandan leaves with water)20g caster sugar85g cake flour4 egg white (A or large)1/4tsp cream of tartar60g caster sugarFor whipped cream150g dairy UHT whipping cream, beat over a bowl of iced water till peak formedMethodFor coconut filling
- Add all ingredients except Molasses in a non stick frying pan. Fry till mixture is well combined and gula Melaka is dissolved.
- Add in Molasses to darken the coconut filling and fry till dry. Scoop out and set aside to cool.For coconut frosting
- Steam grated coconut and salt for 5mins. Set aside to coolFor pandan sponge cake
- Lightly whisk egg yolk with sugar. Add in vegetable oil, stir to combine.
- Add in pandan juices, combine well. Fold in cake flour, mix well, set aside.
- Add cream of tartar with egg white, beat till foamy.
- Gradually add in sugar, beat till stiff peaks.
- Take 1/3 portion of meringue and use hand whisk to mix with egg yolk mixture till light.
- Fold the balance of meringue into egg yolk mixture, combine well.
- Pour batter into the pan that line with parchment paper.
- Bake at 160C for 25mins. Remove from oven, immediately pull sponge cake on a wire rack to cool down.To assemble Swiss roll1. When the sponge cake still warm, place a piece of clean baking/parchment paper on the sponge cake and invert the sponge.2. Slowly peel off the attached baking/parchment paper from the cake.3. Place a piece of baking/parchment paper over the sponge. Invert the sponge again.4. Slice out a small piece of sponge on a 45-degree angle at one end (at longer size 35.5cm ), so the end of sponge will neatly attached to the sponge at the end of rolling.5. Make few slits on the whole cake. Spread whipped cream on the sponge cake, then spoon coconut filling on top and spread the whole sponge cake.6. With the longer side/breadth facing you, roll the cake up tightly to form a swiss roll. Wrap with paper and chill in the fridge to allow the swiss roll to set.7. Frost the swiss roll with whipped cream. Sprinkle steamed grated coconut on the cake. Store in the fridge before serving.
Recipe by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover
1 hour ago