- Allow natural yeast to peak
- Autolyse with starter
- Add in salt
- Bulk fermentation
dust rice flour on the proofing basket
This recipe has only 61% hydration (the ratio of water to flour in the dough) , so the dough is easy to handle. Next time i will share with you with higher hydration, as the bread texture taste even nicer!
Lovely open crumbs !
Pain de campagne_natural yeast天然酵母_乡村面包180g water80g natural yeast from sourdough starter (feed with bread flour)250g bread flour
25g wholemeal flour25g rye flour6g sea salt + 5g waterRice flour and corn meal-for dustingMethod
- Allow natural yeast to peakBring out starter from the fridge. Feed it with 20g bread flour and 20g water ( if you have less starter, you can feed more). Allow to peak, take less than 3hrs. You may perform a float test. Drop a small spoon starter into water, if its float, that means you may start to use the starter.
- Autolyse with starterDisperse the starter/levain in the water with a wire whisk, whisk till foamy and starter dissolved in the water. Add in bread flour, wholemeal flour and rye flour, mix until moistened (do not knead). Cover with a kitchen towel and keep aside in warm area, autolyse for 45mins.
- Add in saltAdd salt with 5g water, stir to mix. Then add into bread mixture, knead till gluten is developed (try to use just fingers to beat the dough to the wall of mixing bowl) that dough look smooth and shining. Transfer to a clean mixing bowl, cover with kitchen towel, rest for 30mins.
- Bulk fermentation BFStart to stretch and fold for 2-3hrs with a turn at 30mins.
- Pre-shapeTransfer the dough on a floured work surface, shape into ball shape and tighten the dough.
- Final proof on proofing basket FPDust proofing basket with rice flour, put the shaped dough into basket (seam side up). Proof till double ( 1.5-2hrs)
- BakingPre-heat oven together with cast iron pot to 250C. Bring out the pot, sprinkle corn meal into the pot. Gently transfer dough into the pot. Use a Razor blade to score the top. Bake for 20mins with cover at 250C. Remove lid and continue to bake at 225C for 20mins.
- Remove pot from oven. Cool bread on a wire rack for at least 2-3hrs before slice it.
Recipe by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover